Local Sheila Mitchell is co-founder of Streatham Common Book Club which has been going for 9 years. Here is her family’s favourite recipe:
Ingredients: serves 4
8 chicken thighs or drumsticks
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons parmesan grated ( the ready grated is fine)
1 tablespoon mild curry powder
4 tablespoons cream
chicken stock cube dissolved in 400 ml boiling water. salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven gas mark 7.
2. Melt butter in baking tray in oven.
3. Mix flour,seasoning, cheese and curry powder in a Ziploc bag and shake to mix.
4. Remove excess fat from chicken joints.
5. Coat chicken in melted butter and then place in Ziploc bag with flour mixture. Shake well to cover. Keep any flour mixture not used for sauce.
6. Remove chicken from bag place in baking tray and bake for about 45 mins until golden and cooked.
7. Remove chicken from baking tray and keep warm.
8. Place remaining flour mixture in baking tray and heat over medium
flame stir vigorously incorporating all the meat juices and sticky bits.
9. Gradually add the chicken stock until gravy like consistency stirring all the time.
10 Finally add the cream and warm through.
11. Serve with the chicken, baked potatoes and vegetables or salad or your choice.